Friday, March 23, 2012

Daylight Savings Time and Fun with Sleep

If you've read much of my blog, you've read that my personal journey with my mutant mood disorder involves a downswing in the mid-afternoon.  If my meds aren't JUST RIGHT, I get severely depressed between the hours of 3 and 7.  Depressed as in crying my eyes out because of the tragedy of the human condition.  That sort of thing.

My meds have been straightened out for some time now, so this mood swing is pretty mild; I may get a little pessimistic or cranky about things, but I'm not on the floor.

Since the switch to Daylight Savings Time the mood swings have been replaced with utter exhaustion.  Many days this week I've been compelled to take a nap around 3 or 4, and I'm not generally a napper.  Don't get me wrong, this is infinitely preferable to mood swings, but it still cramps my style a bit.

The switch to DST has also messed up my sleep in another, minor way.  I can no longer wake up without an alarm at 8:30.  I was trying to wake up with an alarm, but I think I'll give that up and wake at 9:15 as I did in my pre-Soltsice all-night-vigil watch-the-sunrise says last winter.  I'd like to do another vigil, but I've been too tired to think about it recently.

And given my body and brain, it wouldn't surprise me if getting up 45 later means I don't need a two hour nap in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Talk amongst yourselves!