Monday, January 9, 2012

ADHD and the Phone

There's an interesting thread on ADD Forum about how much most of us hate the telephone.

I've always hated the phone.  I find it to be intrusive and obnoxious.  Worse than that, it always triggers a tiny bit of anxiety; if I'm already anxious, it triggers a lot of anxiety.  This is the case even when the caller ID shows it's someone I know and want to talk to.  I'm actually relieved when I don't recognize the number, because then I can ignore it.

I also hate making phone calls.  In part it's because I feel like I'm distracting and annoying the person on the other end in case they hate it as much as I do.  It's also simply not the best way for me to receive and process information.  Send me an email, and I can read and re-read it, and if I forget what it says I can search for it and read it again.  Can't do that with the phone.

Anyway, there are a lot of different reasons ADDers have the phone.  If you're one of these people, check out the thread.  You may find a kindred spirit over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Talk amongst yourselves!