Thursday, November 3, 2011

No Job for Me!

Remember that new job I was supposed to have?  I should have listened to my brain.  I was just working up to feeling enthusiastic when I got a call from my would-be boss explaining that there was continuing friction between him and his business partner, who doesn't think that having a web presence is important.

Yeah.  Web presence is irrelevant in this day and age.

My would-be boss had been honest about the fact that he and the other owner didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things to the point where working with his business partner tied his stomach up in knots.  He had thought that his partner was agreeing to step back for awhile.  Instead, they may have found someone to buy out my would-be boss.  I can certainly understand why he would decide it's just not worth the stress.

I hate it when my cognitive distortions are right.  I also feel like I'm living in a Russian play or something.  I'm having a hard time not getting completely discourage, not falling into the abyss of "every job is going to fall through, and if it doesn't, it will be abusive and awful -- and then it will fall through".  In a word, #@$^&*!

2 comments:

  1. Stay out of the abyss -- your premonitions aren't reality. As you said, they're distortions. I'm reading the Steve Jobs biography, and the thing that strikes me over and over is how Jobs distorted his own reality, not just others', in a positive direction. Sometimes too far, into selfishness, but mostly, in my interpretation, his distortions were good for him. I hope you can make some movement in that direction -- toward wonderfully blissful distortions that actually help us get better and live. I'm working on it myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good advice. A friend of mine recommended a book about "learned optimism" -- he said it's like how to practice thinking that you're awesome and will accomplish awesomeness. It sounds like something I need right now.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? Talk amongst yourselves!