Friday, April 13, 2012

Nothing Like Ativan In the Morning

I'm pretty depressed right now.  My life has been a bit like a bad country song lately: my cat died, my marriage is in trouble, I'm unemployed ... all I need is a midnight train out of town and the narrative would be complete.

Earlier in the week I was damn miserable.  I'm not suicidal or anything; I don't have "a plan", and I really don't want to die ... except that I felt like I wanted to die.  I didn't say this to my pdoc, but described my mood and motivation, and how they had suffered incredibly since the death of my dear kitty.

I figured that he'd up my abilify because it seems to be a very effective antidepressant for me.  Instead he recommended that I try taking .5 mgs of ativan during the day as needed.  At that dosage, he said, it shouldn't make me sleepy.

So yesterday I tried it.  Within half an hour I needed a nap -- pretty amazing, given that I'm also on 70 mgs of amphetamine for my ADHD.

So much for that idea.

3 comments:

  1. Too bad that didn't work.. Maybe because you don't have an anxious kind of depression but more of a lethargic kind? Maybe you should suggest increasing the Abilify and see what he says.
    Best wishes,
    Heidi (hotbrain)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have a mixed type of depression. I get anxious, obsessive, and have mood swings, but at the same time I'm sleepy and unmotivated. I also think I'm really sensitive to things that will slow me down.

    I asked my pdoc about upping the Abilify, and for some reason he thought the benzo would work better ... I wish I could get him on board with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sry about your cat..i hope u feel better..

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? Talk amongst yourselves!