Sunday, October 16, 2011

Exploding Head Syndrome: D00d srsly, it's a thing

Last time I visited my pdoc, he was on about cortisol levels as a possible cause of my mood problems.  I'm what's called a "night owl" -- I'm one of those people whose natural circadian rhythm has me falling asleep between 2 or 3 am, and waking up around 10 or 11 am.  Apparently night owls experience some sort of cortisol trough between 4 pm and 8 pm (which is the time my own mood likes to burn down, fall over, and sink into the swamp).  My doctor theorizes that I'm somehow more sensitive to this trough than other people.  Unlike most people, who feel a little sleepy and have a cup of coffee, I spend the hours between 4 pm and 8 pm sobbing my heart out because my cats are going to die someday.

In an effort to be a good, self-educated crazy person, I decided to do some research about cortisol, night owls, and all that jazz.  In the course of this, Wikipedia suggested that a related article concerned Exploding Head Syndrome.  Honestly.  It's a thing.  Not just a metaphor that describes my sinus-and-ear infections, but a thing that's somehow related to night owls and cortisol.  I'm sure it's extremely unpleasant for people who suffer from it, but still ... BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! Exploding Head!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Talk amongst yourselves!