Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 61, 150 mgs of Lamictal: Muscle Weakness?

Yesterday I lifted weights, and noticed that I couldn't lift as much as usual.

This isn't uncommon for people doing strength training.  Sometimes there are days when you're just off.  And maybe I'm being paranoid -- just because I'm on this drug doesn't mean that everything that happens is a side effect of this drug.

I first noticed the feeling of weakness when I was carrying my weights out to the deck where I usually work out.  I can typically one-hand my case of barbells (about 40 lbs), but I found myself using both hands to carry it.  Given that fact, I decided not to up the weight on my front squats, but at least I could get through them.  I had to take the weight down for all of my single-leg exercises, like lunges and step-ups.

I've been having appetite problems for a few weeks now, but it seems that I've been eating enough to keep training -- I've been steadily raising my weights during that time.  It's enabled me to lose a few of the 10 lbs I gained from Abilify and Lexapro last winter.  I wonder if it's possible that I hit some sort of physiological thing where I can't burn my own body fat?  Or am I not eating as much as I think I am?

The good news is that I seem to be adjusting to the balance problems I've been having for the last few weeks.  The lack of delayed onset muscle stiffness also continues, even when I've really pushed myself with the weights.  And honestly, a single workout is not a pattern, and it might well be that next time I hit the weights I'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Talk amongst yourselves!